Kentucky Instructional Materials Resource Center
2019 Registration of Kentucky Students who are Legally Blind and Visually Impaired
Attn: Directors of Special Education and Teachers of the Visually Impaired
This is the official request for the registration of legally blind students under the Federal Act, "To Promote the Education of the Blind," and for the registration of visually impaired students.
Please note that there are two types of conditions for registration. Legally blind students are registered under the Federal Quota Registration (FQR). Visually impaired students are also registered.
Students in an early intervention program or in grades preschool through programs of less than college level, must be enrolled in your school district or with your agency as of the first Monday in January of the current school year (i.e., January 7, 2019).
The deadline to complete the 2019 Registration is February 22, 2019.
You will need the following documents to complete the Federal Quota Registration. They can be accessed by clicking on these links:
Certificate of Enrollment
Definitions of "Legally Blind," and "Visually Impaired" and Explanation of Abbreviations
Assurance of Compliance with the Department of Health, Education and Welfare Regulation under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
KIMRC Registration and Eye Report Form for Students with Visual Problems
Parent Consent to Release Student Information Form for Students Attending Public Schools
Parent Consent to Release Student Information Form for Students Attending Private Schools and/or Agencies, or Home Schools
All students included on the Certificate of Enrollment must have a signed Parent Consent to Release Student Information Form on file with the KIMRC. NO STUDENT WILL BE REGISTERED WITHOUT A PARENT CONSENT TO RELEASE STUDENT INFORMATION FORM. If your student(s) already has a Parent Consent Form on file with the KIMRC, it is not necessary to resend it to the KIMRC.
Students who have been registered in the past must have a current eye report (not older than January, 2016). Students not previously registered must have a current eye report (not older than January, 2018).
If you do not have a current eye report for a student(s) who is legally blind or visually impaired, we still want you to list their name(s) and the other pertinent information on the Certificate of Enrollment. When you obtain the eye report, please forward it to the KIMRC so that your student(s) can receive instructional materials. You should also retain copy of the student eye report for your school records.
An exemption from the current eye report regulation will be made for persons who are totally blind or whose eyes have been enucleated or who have proven non-changing eye conditions. If this is the case, the ophthalmologist or optometrist must check "Meets the Definition of Blindness (MDB) Non-changing immutable condition" on the KIMRC Registration and Eye Report Form, or the student must have a non-changing eye condition letter on file with the KIMRC.
The following items must be included on the KIMRC Registration and Eye Report Form for Students with Visual Problems:
- Complete the information regarding name, address, school district, date of birth, etc.
- The current grade level of the student is required.
- How Served: IEP VI/Only, IEP VI/Multiple, 504 Plan, or Other.
- Primary Reading Medium: Print, Braille, Auditory, Prereader, Symbolic/Nonreader
- Secondary Reading Medium: Print, Braille, Auditory, Not Applicable
- The eye specialist, the school Superintendent or Director of Special Education and the Parent/Guardian must sign and date the eye report form.
Please complete and print the Certificate of Enrollment and Assurance of Compliance forms.
- CHECK ONLY ONE BOX in the “How Served” column for each student on the Certificate of Enrollment. As you know, many students who are blind or visually impaired are served through IDEA in varying categories. If the student is being served through an IEP, check “VI Only” if no other disability has been identified. Check “VI Multiple” if the student has a visual impairment in addition to any other type or combination of disability (e.g., VI+FMD, VI+LD, DB, VI+ MMD, VI+DD, etc.). Some students are provided adaptations/ modifications through a 504 Plan, if so, please check that box. For students who are home-schooled, are served in private or other type of school setting, or receive large print textbooks, or not, without accommodations being documented in any way, please check “Other.”
- It is also very important that you indicate both the Primary Reading Medium (V=Visual (Print), B=Braille, A=Auditory, SN=Symbolic/Nonreader, Pre=Prereader) and the Secondary Reading Medium (V=Visual (Print), B=Braille, A=Auditory, NA=Not Applicable) on the Certificate of Enrollment. Please remember that you may not duplicate a reading medium in the primary and secondary reading media columns. Also, if you list the Primary Reading Medium as Prereader or Symbolic/Nonreader, the Secondary Reading Medium must be listed as Not Applicable. If you have marked the primary or secondary reading media as B=Braille, you must indicate which math and science code each braille reader will use (UEB Only or UEB with Nemeth Code).
- You must indicate the Primary Instructional Language of the Learner. This is the language that is used to provide instruction to the student in the classroom. This should be done in the Student & Language Column. The language categories are: English (E), Spanish (S) or Other (languages other than English and Spanish) submitted to you when you gather your data: e.g. Spanish, ESL, etc.)
- If there are no students who are legally blind or visually impaired enrolled in your district, agency or home school, please return the “Certificate of Enrollment” marked "NONE" and sign, and date it.
The Certificate of Enrollment and Assurance of Compliance Form must be completed, signed and returned to the KIMRC on or before February 22, 2019. You may mail, fax, or mail the completed forms to:
Kentucky Instructional Materials Resource Center
1867 Frankfort Avenue
Louisville, KY 40206
Email: KIMRC Program Coordinator
It is very important that all Kentucky students who are blind and visually impaired are included in this annual registration. It is through this process that funding allocations are determined to provide accessible textbooks and specialized educational aids for your students.
If you have any questions regarding the procedures for registering your students, contact KIMRC Program Coordinator, or phone 502-897-1583, ext. 7117.