Gateways to Independence
July 21-23, 2014
The 21st Annual Gateways to Independence, a summer institute for service providers of students with visual impairments, will be presented by the Kentucky School for the Blind Outreach Department. It will be held on the campus of the Kentucky School for the Blind.
Kentucky School for the Blind presents:
Hands on Learning!
Monday, July 21: Breakout Sessions include:
- That All May Read: Free Services from the KY Talking Book Library
- The Essential Assessments Rubric (EA Rubric.com)
- Developing Communication Systems and Literacy for Students with the Most Complex Needs
- Individual Learning Plans for the VI Student
- First Steps Intervention Services: Opportunities for TVIs
- How Medications Affect Eye Conditions
Tuesday, July 22 – Wednesday, July 23:
* NOTE: Due to KSB renovations, this will be held at 4100 Shelbyville Road (Beargrass Christian Church) *
Active Learning: Strategies for Individuals with Multiple Special Needs by Patricia Obrzut, M.S., O.T.R., Assistant Director of Penrickton Center for Blind Children
Given the opportunity, any child can learn! Active Learning, an innovative approach developed by Dr. Lilli Nielsen, focuses on establishing motivating learning environments for children with multiple special needs. Learn how to increase functional independence and developmental skills while reducing stereotypical, self-injurious or aggressive behaviors.
Note on Lodging: Due to extensive renovations, lodging will not be available on campus.
Parking will not be available directly behind Evans Hall (between APH and KIMRC) due to construction. Parking WILL BE available along Frankfort or Haldeman, behind the track off of Haldeman, or at the Frankfort Ave. Church of Christ on the corner of Haldeman and Frankfort. Please do NOT park along APH. The Third Lutheran church has an event Monday morning so please do not park there.
Please also note that there are some local road closures that may or may not affect your travel:
For additional information about Gateways contact KSB Outreach Administrative Assistant Beth Baker at email@example.com or 502-897-1583 ext. 7714